Highlights & Report – Clyde 1-1 Berwick Rangers – SPFL Ladbrokes League Two

Highlights courtesy of Clyde Football Club.

A battling Berwick side returned from Broadwood with a point as they avoided a third consecutive defeat, a Blair Henderson goal midway through the second-half earning a share of the spoils.

The ‘Gers kicked things off sporting their home kit, and looked to try get on the front front straight away. A Ewan McNeil cross only just evaded the head of Henderson just 20 seconds into the game.

McNeil’s throw to Henderson then almost paid dividends in bizarre circumstances, the striker’s flick-down met by Clyde’s David Marsh, who proceeded to loop a pass back towards his own keeper, which managed to hit the bar three times before finally being collected by stopper John Gibson. After being collected, referee Craig Napier blew his whistle for an indirect free-kick – a clear backpass, but Michael McKenna’s effort from 8 yards was well stopped by a redeemed Gibson.

Darren Lavery then lead a ‘Gers counter attack before getting the ball wide to an onrushing McNeil, who’s effort from around 35 yards thundered off the bar, leaving ‘Gers fans questioning whether it was going to their day in front of goal.

Ewan McNeil came close to scoring another screamer. Image courtesy of Clyde FC.

It’d be Clyde who had the ball in the net first, when Marsh played a clever one-two with Chris Mitchell to begin to open things up for the Bully Wee. The ball eventually fell to Sean Higgins courtesy of a stretching Marsh, who centred for Liam Gormley to head home, only to see the offside flag raised.

Clyde grew into the game from here and it wasn’t to be long before they actually did open the scoring, when Stevie Notman failed to fully clear the danger from a Scott Linton cross, Higgins was on hand to show impressive technique to volley into the ground and beyond a diving Kevin Walker.

A ‘Gers attack was then cut out by Scott McLaughlin and picked up by Jon Paul McGovern, who played a delightful pass through to meet a brilliant run by Archie Campbell. Thankfully for the ‘Gers, Walker was on hand to deny the striker who was through one-on-one, tipping his effort away from danger.

Whilst the ‘Gers struggled to create anything clear cut in the early stages of the second half, they did manage to keep the home side quiet. And that dull spell paid off for the ‘Gers when Dwayne Coultress, who hadn’t long since been introduced for full debutant Barry Hogg, picked up the ball out on the left flank thanks to some good work from both Notman & Henderson. Henderson showed intelligence to find space with a late run into the box and get on the end of a brilliant cut-back from the winger, using his left foot to slot into Gibson’s bottom right corner.


Beveridge took a heavy knock in the second-half and had to be stretchered off. Image courtesy of Clyde FC.

In truth it’d be the only real chance of the second-half, with both sides probably happy to ensure they didn’t drop their share of the spoils. There were however worrying scenes when Graeme Beveridge, operating at left-back, was knocked unconscious and had to be replaced. Thankfully Graeme has since report that he’s well.


The ‘Gers may have had the best chances on the day but Clyde did have a few opportunities to take the game away from the ‘Gers, only to be denied by an impressive Walker. Fans of both sides would probably agree a draw was a fair result.