Berwick Rangers v Gala Fairydean Rovers Match Report

A Mylchreest double from the penalty spot saw Berwick Rangers draw 3-3 with Gala Fairydean in a thrilling encounter at Shielfield Park. This was the second meeting between the two teams in the space of five days after Gala’s 2-0 win on Boxing Day.

The visitors took the early initiative at a wet and windy Shielfield Park. Gala’s Ethan Dougal received the ball on the right before crossing it for Jack Beaumont whose header went over the bar.

The Dream Team looked to respond as Scott Bright received the ball on the left. Bright’s terrific through ball again found Cammy Graham who’s great first touch lined him up for another shot. Graham calmly slotted the ball past Gala ‘keeper Jay Cantlay into the bottom right corner to give Berwick the lead on twenty minutes.

Berwick’s pressure continued as a nice pass by Graham found Bright in acres of space on the left just outside the box. The Berwick left-back struck the ball first time, but the ball went agonisingly wide of the stranded Gala ‘keeper.

After surviving the Berwick storm, Gala got forward through Lwendo Kazoka on the right. Kazoka made his way into the box and was brought down by Scott Bright, and the ref had no hesitation to award a spot kick to Gala. Up stepped Jamie Semple for Gala who powered the penalty down the middle to even the game up.

The danger of Cammy Graham became apparent to Gala skipper Gareth Rodger who made a bad tackle on the Berwick forward that sparked an altercation between the two teams. Rodger was let off the hook with a yellow for the challenge. 1-1 at half-time.

Berwick started the second half strong with early pressure on Gala’s defence. Jackson Mylchreest took the ball into the box and was pulled to the floor by Rodger. The ref instantly awarded the penalty to give Berwick the chance to regain the lead.

The winner of the penalty, Mylchreest, converted the penalty with a cool finish into the bottom right corner to restore Berwick’s advantage.

Erwick began to control things through the aid of the wind in the direction of Gala’s goal. A swift counter-attack saw Grant Nelson find Scott Bright. Bright laid off Andrew Gaffney whose effort flicked the bar and went out for a goal kick.

Minutes later however Gala would again snatch an equaliser, this time through a corner. The dangerous Liam Watt’s cross was headed in by Rodger, the man arguably lucky to still be on the pitch.

Straight after kick off the match was completely turned on its head with Berwick seemingly losing their way. A defence-cutting pass sent ex-Gers man Ben Lamont in on goal for Gala who dinked the ball over Calum Antell to give Gala the lead for the first time.

As time ticked towards 90, Berwick were given a lifeline. A long ball fell to Mylchreest in the box who beat Rodger until he was again sent to the ground by the Gala captain. For the second time in the match, the ref awarded Berwick a spotkick and Rodger was sent off for a second yellow card.

Mylchreest stepped up from twelve yards again and fired into the top left corner to score a dramatic equaliser.

With Gala a man light, Berwick went all out to find a winner. Bayley Klimionek found space on the left and his cross was met by Lewis Barr who slotted the ball home to spark wild scenes in the stands. The celebrations though were cut short with Barr being flagged for offside in a thrilling end to the game.

Gala just about withstood the late Berwick onslaught to claim a 3-3 draw. A great game at Shielfield to round out the year.