Berwick Rangers 3-3 Montrose

Berwick blew the chance of making it three straight wins in Scottish League Two as a stoppage time header from Marvin Andrews snatched a point for struggling Montrose.

Scott Johnston put the visitors in front in the 31st minute but goals from Andy Russell and Paul Willis ensured Berwick were ahead at the break.

Garry Wood brought Montrose back level in the 59th minute before Willis had his second from the penalty spot six minutes from time. The Gers couldn’t hold on though as Andrews headed home in stoppage time and, to make things worse, Kerr Young was sent off just before the final whistle.

For the fourth game in a row Berwick were unchanged but there was a place on the bench for new signing Blair Henderson, who signed from East Super League outfit Bonnyrigg Rose on Tuesday night.

Inside the first minute, the Gers should’ve been ahead when Scott Maxwell seized upon a loose ball and played in Russell but Montrose keeper Stuart McKenzie was out sharply to deny the striker’s effort.

Darren Lavery, who notched his 50th goal for the club in the 3-0 win against Clyde last week, then shot wide after being teed up by Steven Notman before the visitors opened the scoring in the 31st minute when Johnston collected the ball and slotted past Billy Bald despite Berwick’s claims for offside.

After Ross McCord shot narrowly wide from a free-kick, in the 38th minute Berwick were level when a Lavery header from a great Devon Jacobs cross was brilliantly saved by McKenzie but the rebound fell to Russell who tapped home.

A swift breakaway resulted in Ross Drummond bringing out another fine save from the visiting keeper but right on the stroke of half-time, the Gers were deservedly in front when Notman won the ball deep in the Montrose half and the ball fell to Willis who side-footed into the net.

More half chances followed for Berwick at the start of the second half with Russell, Lee Currie and Willis all off target and after failing to get out of sight, Montrose hit back in the 59th minute when Wood got in behind the defence and netted with a cool finish.

Again Berwick had chances to go ahead as Currie shot over from a Willis corner and Russell volleyed wide from a Maxwell cross before new signing Henderson came on for the last 10 minutes.

Berwick eventually did go back in front and in slightly fortunate circumstances when Andrews handled in the box. Willis made no mistake from the spot, stepping up and burying the ball into the corner out of McKenzie’s reach.

But Andrews made amends for his error into stoppage time when he met a deep free-kick with a bullet header. Seconds after the restart, Young was handed his marching orders by the referee for a second booking and capped what manager Colin Cameron referred to afterwards as an “unacceptable” second half performance.