Report: BSC Glasgow 0-0 Berwick Rangers

The Dream Team played out their first draw of the season at a blustery Indodrill Stadium against BSC Glasgow. 

Both sides battled the elements throughout the goalless draw but the wind certainly did not take away from the drama. 

Boss Ian Little made three changes to the side that defeated Edinburgh University 3-1 on Tuesday night with Ali Forster, Dan Purves and Grant Nelson all dropping to the bench. Craig Reid returned from suspension at the back alongside a trialist while Lewis Allan returned up front. 

BSC came into this game second in the league and having picked up 13 points from a possible 15. They named an unchanged lineup from the side that defeated Cumbernauld Colts 4-0 on Wednesday night. 

Both sides played on the front foot early on but it was Berwick who fashioned the first opening within the first two minutes. Kieran Somerville played a ball down the right wing for Allan whose low cross found the feet of Calum Smith. The striker tried to spin and shoot but he couldn’t get a clean connection and dragged his shot wide. 

However, it was BSC who should have taken the lead eleven minutes in. Good patient play in midfield saw the ball worked into the feet of Jamie Hamilton. He played a first time ball over the head of the Berwick defence for Michael Anderson. The defence stopped as they expected an offside flag that never came but Anderson, with plenty of time, could only smash the ball over the bar. 

It was a huge let-off for Berwick and they had another one 15 minutes later. A BSC corner from the left was floated to the edge of the area by Declan Hughes for Andy Geggan. The midfielder hit a fantastic volley towards goal but, fortunately for the ‘Gers, Sam Daniel was positioned on the line to clear the strike away. 

BSC were able to keep the ball better as Berwick battled against the wind and they went close again from distance not long before half time. Hughes lined up a Jordan Sinclair special from a free kick from around 30 yards but his curling effort was too high to trouble Dougie Horne. 

The break gave Berwick new impetus and they began to create more openings. A throw from the left troubled the BSC defence who were unable to clear on the edge of their own area. Euan Smith’s strike was blocked but the ball landed at the feet of Allan whose turn was excellent but the connection on the volley skewed his effort wide. 

BSC were still a danger going forward and they had two chances within a minute. A Daniel foul gave Hughes the chance to deliver. His cross was not dealt with by Berwick and the ball fell to Ryan Tierney with his shot deflected wide via the aid of Horne. The resulting corner saw Horne miss the ball with it landing at the feet of substitute Ross Lyon at the back post. His shot was deflected into the air but Tierney’s resultant header was saved well by Horne. 

Berwick were also creating chances as both sides were looking for the breakthrough. A long ball from a free kick was controlled by Calum Smith. The striker teed up Daniel whose shot was deflected and turned round the near post by David Wilson. The resulting corner from Sinclair came all the way through to Euan Smith and his shot was deflected wide by Calum Smith. 

BSC had their own chance barely a minute late. Excellent control and skill in the middle of the park from Michael Anderson let him play the ball in behind for Darren Christie but the forward could only slash his shot way wide. 

Five minutes later, Horne was called into action again. Good passing play from BSC again saw Jamie Hamilton unlock the Berwick defence with an excellent pass. He set away substitute Alfie Agyeman but his shot was beaten away by Horne at his near post. 

BSC continued to press the ‘Gers in the later stages and had an excellent chance with four minutes to go. The lively Agyeman ran at the Berwick defence and had to be taken down on the edge of the area by Ryan Finnie. Hamilton stepped up and forced Horne to turn the ball away excellently. 

BSC had one final chance to win the game in stoppage time as a hopeful cross from the left win was looped into the area and Hamilton was able to meet it but he could only header it back across goal and wide. 

The full time whistle signalled Berwick’s first draw of the season and breaks the streak of alternating wins and losses this season. The point leaves the ‘Gers eighth in the Lowland League with ten points ahead of next weekend’s away trip to Newtown Park to face Bo’ness United. 

Report by Eion Smith.