Match Report: Tweedmouth Rangers 0-1 Eyemouth United – East of Scotland League

As noted last week, Tweedmouth Rangers were at home to Eyemouth United in their first ever home East of Scotland league game on Saturday. Berwick Rangers are pleased to provide a match report of the clash:

Goals were at a premium in this hard fought local derby but there was a spate of yellow cards, nine in all across both sides, seven in the first half alone. Playing down the slope at Old Shielfield in the first half, Tweedmouth won more corners and created the more promising chances. Eyemouth relied on optimistic long shots though the visitors’ James Wilson had the ball in the net from closer in but it was chalked off for offside.

Ten minutes into the second half, Michael Robinson appeared to have given Tweedmouth the lead, knocking in the rebound after keeper Craig Pucko blocked his first attempt but again there was an offside decision. Robinson was forced off five minutes later with an ankle injury.

Eyemouth appealed for handball when the ball broke favourably for Stuart Coyle off Graham Patterson. Coyle was allowed to run on but shot straight at Pucko as he guarded his near post.

The goal that counted arrived on exactly 70 minutes. Home keeper John Patterson failed to hold a high cross from Eyemouth full back Daniel Blackie and Connor Lough was on hand to take advantage. Lough then found himself at the bottom of a pile of celebrating teammates who sensed he might have done enough for them to win such a tight game.

Tweedmouth had no luck in their search for an equaliser. Up on the left, between them, one time Eyemouth players Jordan Ainslie and Sean Simpson cut open the Fishermens’ defence giving Coyle, another ex-United man, the opportunity to finish but from eight yards in front of goal, he sliced the ball in the wrong direction. Both Michael Allan and Kieran Ainslie headed over the bar whilst the decent sized crowd saw Ross Moore’s volley from out wide bounce back off it.

Despite the result, the narrow defeat lifts Rangers off the bottom of the East of Scotland League table on goal difference above Burntisland Shipyard who lost heavily against current champions Leith Athletic. Their win means Eyemouth lie in second place, unbeaten in their opening four games.

Tweedmouth Rangers Man of the Match: Rudy Mcleod


Macgregor for Rutherford (60)
Dodd for Robinson (70)
Howard for J.Ainslie (80)



Attendance: 115

Match report courtesy of Berwick Rangers Supporters Trust.