Match Day 11 | BRFC vs Bo’ness

Match Preview / Team News

Games continue to come thick and fast and this time The Gers’ welcome Bo’ness to Shielfield Park.

Berwick will have a much similar squad to that which was available Saturday, Ryan Finnie came on (and set up Lewis Allan’s second) and will be pushing for more minutes in this fixture. The previously suspended Sean Stewart is back in the squad and after making his long awaited return Kiran Somerville will be pushing again to get some time on the pitch. Grant Nelson, who left the field with a strain will be a late fitness test to determine if he’ll have any involvement in match day 11.

Berwick will be hoping to reverse the result from the last time the two sides met in which Bo’ness won 2-1, following what we deemed a ‘soft’ penalty giving them the lead with a second from K Anderson, putting the then home team two ahead. Dan Purvis, who recently joined Dunbar United on loan, did pull one back but that was not enough. The last meeting was at times heated and cooler heads will be sought under the lights at Shielfield.

The visitors come into the game following a 0-1 win, away to Gretna 2008 which has them sitting in 12th in the league. Berwick however will be looking to build on their dominant display at home to Cumbernauld Colts, in which The Gers’ bagged 5 goals in front of an appreciative home crowd.

Boss Stuart Malcom alluded to some potential transfer business he was working on to help cover for the inured Jack Cook, work continues and all are hoping the paperwork can be done to announce before the teams take to the pitch against Bo’ness.

Your match day programme is available below, enjoy the game!

Berwick Rangers 0 – 1 Bo’Ness

Bo’Ness inflict the ‘Gers second defeat of the season at Shielfield Park, with a rugged display under the lights.

The game was not full of free flowing passing and flair and rather required the Dream Team to show, fight, strength and resilience. The first half was a very end to end affair as both teams fought for the ball and for opportunities.

Keeper Swinton was called into action to make a few saves but in the main there was no huge trouble caused for either keeper in the first half.

On the stroke of half time STM took the ball but had a heavy touch, this led to a race to the ball which ultimately resulted in a strong challenge, from which the Bo’Ness captain acted like he’d been shot. A melee ensued and the referee sought to defuse the melee by rapidly brandishing a red card to the set piece specialist of Berwick.

45 mins with 10 men was ahead for the home team and this was a test they so nearly passed. The 10 men on the pitch stood up to a physical challenge and themselves created a good few chances to get ahead but the lucky break or touch needed didn’t come. The ‘Gers defence was strong and it looked like there was no chance they were going to concede in open play. New man Tam Scoobie, playing his first 90mins in 18 months, slotted in well along side, captain and leader Pyper. The two looked strong and stood up to the physical challenge put to them.

The winner for Bo’Ness came from a corner in which the ball was whipped in and BRFC failed to clear, allowing McCormack to get a shot away from just outside the 6 yard box. A shot which Swinton did get something on, but the power of the strike took the ball over the line (83mins). A real sucker punch after staying strong for 45mins.

In the last 10mins saw the additions of Baker and Smith to the game and the two got chances to equalise in the dying minutes. The best chance falling to Baker who got his head on the end of a Taylor corner and came ever so close to levelling in the 90th min. Unfortunately the ball creeped past the post and the game ended 0-1.

Post Match Reaction

Match Highlights

The Full 90