Berwick v Albion Rovers Match Report

Rangers ended the season on a high with a 2-1 win over Albion Rovers in front of a highly-attended Shielfield Park.

The game started with a bang from the 12-second goal byJackson Mylchreest. Joe Ellison doubled the Gers’ lead midway through the second half. Albion’s Stephen O’Neill pulled one back late on, but Berwick held on for the win as they ended the season with all three points.

It was Albion Rovers who started proceedings as they retreated the ball immediately to their defence. Berwick piled the pressure on, and an attempted long ball was intervened by Jackson Mylchreest. He drove towards a panicking Albion defence and unleashed a shot that was saved by Ross Connelly. The rebound was fired into the roof of the net to give the Dream Team an incredible start with just 12 seconds on the clock.

A bouncing Berwick continued their positive start with Mylchreest at the centre of the attack. The Gers man received the ball on the right before skipping past the challenge of Alan Reid before finessing a shot that was held by Connelly.

Berwick were restricted to three substitutes on the bench due to injury and suspensions and this situation worsened after another two injuries sustained by Bayley Klimionek and Callum Mackay forced Thomas Scobbie into two early changes. The two replacements were Richard Tambwe and Blair Sneddon.

Albion began to grow into the game as a ball in from the right broke to the prolific Niyah Joseph. His shot however was expertly saved by Thomas Kay down to his left-hand side.

The visitors began to create consistent chances as Josh Tran laid a shot off for Aaron Quigg, but his effort destined for the goal was blocked by an Albion player that was Alex McCaw. Berwick left off the hook as they continued to lead. Minutes later Barry Duncan used his pace down the right before cutting inside and his shot went inches wide of the goal.

On the stroke of half-time Berwick gained space on the counter-attack as Liam Buchanan done well with his flick-on to Richard Tambwe. The Gers substitute had space to run in on goal, but he lashed the ball over the bar in a great chance to double Berwick’s lead. However, the difference remained at one going into the interval.

Like the first half, Berwick started the second half much stronger. Blair Sneddon flew down the left with the ball before playing in Tambwe. His attempted cross deflected back to Sneddon who attempted a shot that went just wide across Connelly’s goal.

Just before the hour mark, the ever-impressive Jamie Stephenson picked out Buchanan on the right before slipping in Mylchreest who seemingly went for power over accuracy as his effort went over the bar in another great chance for the goalscorer. Moments later Tambwe picked out Buchanan in the box who used his terrific hold-up play to lay the ball off for Cammy Graham who forced a strong save by Connelly down low.

Berwick pressure ultimately told as Stephenson’s free-kick was flicked on towards Joe Ellison at the back post. Ellison managed to get the ball out of his feet to dink the ball over Connelly and into the roof of the net to double the Dream Team’s lead.

Albion Rovers continued to test the Berwick backline but their struggles in front of goal was apparent with numerous attempts going straight into Kay’s gloves. However, Adam Fernie broke down the right with his cross met by Stephen O’Neill. His first-time shot again was straight at Kay, but O’Neill kept his composure to slot the rebound into the net to give the visitors hope.

Berwick decided to shut up shop as they looked to hold onto their one-goal lead for the remaining minutes. As the clock ticked past 90, long Berwick clearances were greeted with cheer as the Gers were desperate not to concede late on once again. The Dream Team managed to hold on as they ended theseason with all three points. The match attendance was 510, the highest all season at Shielfield Park.